Beehive Cookies: Decorated Cookies For Spring | Days of Chalk and Chocolate

Beehive Cookies: Decorated Cookies For Spring

Share It:
iced sugar cookies spring beehives

I am feeling blue lately.  This extended winter is bringing me down and I keep trying to find signs of spring to lighten my mood.  We have a few daffodils poking up through the ground but otherwise there is nothing lively outside.  Cue the spring cut out cookies!  I used a new beehive cookie cutter and spent a few nights having fun with some colorful icing. I figure if spring can't come to me I will make my own!



I am no cookie decorator. My skills are lacking but I do love being creative and since these aren't going anyplace other than our tummies, I figure it doesn't matter if they are perfect.

This is the sugar cookie recipe I used and always use for cut outs. It is called The Best Rolled Sugar Cookie Dough from Allrecipes.com.

I like a thick, soft cookie so I roll mine out to about a half inch thick for large cookies and 1/4 inch for the smaller ones.





Don't those tulips look like Pac Man ghosts?  

I also watch my cookies very carefully and take them out at the first hint of golden edges.


First I outlined each beehive using royal icing in a thick enough consistency for it to come out smoothly from the bag but not run down the sides.  I use ziploc baggies with a corner cut off which is why my lines and details are not super straight.

spring cut out sugar cookies

My royal icing is 2 cups powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons milk, 3 tablespoons light corn syrup, and 3/4 tsp of almond extract. I also used a little vanilla coffee creamer to give it a yummier taste.


Then I filled in every other layer and let it dry overnight.

iced sugar cookies spring beehives
I filled in the other layers this morning, using a slightly lighter yellow tint,  and let the icing dry. This made each layer really stand out!

Then I just made some flowers using 8 small dots surrounding a larger dot. A few little leaves and that's it!  So cute!!  Perfect? Nah. Fun? Yup!

iced sugar cookies spring beehives

iced sugar cookies spring beehives
I also did the flowers and bunny the same way. Outline, fill, dry, details.
If icing cookies isn't your thing, you may like some of my other cookie decorating ideas!

Candy Corn Colored Layers

Halloween Cookie Decorating

Cheers!
Jenny

2 comments:

Thanks for your comments!