Teaching Jobs (getting personal) | Days of Chalk and Chocolate

Teaching Jobs (getting personal)

Share It:
I don't know if you noticed that I've been a little absent this summer. It wasn't planned. I hadn't decided to take a break from blogging but somehow between running kids to and from the pool and planning vacations, I didn't have much time to publish much.  So thanks for sticking with me and reading this!  I don't mean to be a fair weather friend!  But that isn't what today's post is about.

I am a teacher. That's what I do. It's the ONLY thing I can ever see myself doing as a profession. I just want to be in an elementary classroom with 20 little ones and a shape block or two.  It is time for me to go back to that now. I have had a love-hate relationship with being home the past four years and now it is time for me to get back to what I know I'm good at and what I feel is a calling. 

I won't get all political on you but, despite being in one of the top rated states for education, the profession of teaching in NJ is wounded.  I take this very personally as I am a teacher just as as I am a mother, a wife, a daughter, a woman. Since resigning from my former district to relocate, I never stopped lesson planning in my mind when I came across good literature, I have subbed consistently to keep myself current in education, and I have spent time reading professional journals and websites all while not in a full-time classroom.  Why did I do this?  I have no choice!  It is who I am! 

I once read Dance Macabre, a non-fiction book written by Stephen King. In the book, he recalls an anecdote in which someone asked him why he chooses to write about such scary and gruesome things and he replied, "What makes you think I have a choice?"  That has always stuck with me and I know what he means by it! 
 
Every spring and summer since we have moved I have applied for various teaching positions that seemed interesting and wouldn't be too time consuming since Ellie was still so little. But this spring and summer I ramped up my job search. I applied to more positions than I can count and revamped my resume 4 different times. Each resume submission would bring me an evening of mental preparations: "Could this work for a first day activity?" "Book of the Month topics...hmmmm." and it would go on and on and on until a week would go by and I wouldn't receive a call.
 

And so it went. I never did get a call and my heart is a bit broken.  Maybe it's God's way of showing me that it isn't my time yet or that my kids still need me here. I don't know. But I will say that I feel a sadness that September 4th is coming up and I will not be starting school too.   I can't stop feeling that I am meant to do this!  I am a damn good teacher! Alas, I won't have the opportunity to show anyone that this year. But I'll keep looking and submitting my resume until a school chooses me just as I choose them. 

I appreciate you listening and letting me vent. It helps to voice all these thoughts. I hope to get back into my DIY/craft/recipe vibe in September but maybe with a bit more teaching stuff thrown in so I can scratch that itch too. 

I hope that everyone's school year is off to a great start or that you are still savoring the last few crumbs of a sweet summer!
 
Cheers!
Jenny

4 comments:

  1. With your passion and determination I KNOW an opportunity will come knocking some time soon. Maybe it will be disguised in a different form than a traditional teacher in a public school setting. Just as you mentioned our public school system is suffering and teachers like you that have so much passion can really changes the lives of the kids and their families so any school would be blessed to have a teacher like you. So keep pushing forward and it is bound to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you'll find the perfect job for you and your family, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness there are people like you who have a passion for teaching. Most of the teachers I have known over the years are so dedicated and put in countless hours every week. I can sense that you would be the same. I know some school will snatch you up soon ~ there are some kids out there who need you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry!! Maybe you can advertise yourself to the parents of your local school as a tutor. There are lots of kids who need special one-on-one help!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!